Content is King
What is Quality Content?
Quality content is unique, purposeful and effectively streamlined data that individuals and search engines are determined to follow, view, and offer. Quality content helps you rank better on SERPS and entertains your clients.
Relevance and Context
- Google is moving towards breaking down topics and context, not simply keywords.
- The search engine comprehends the meaning of words and how they are identified with one another.
- As per Searchmetrics, Google’s algorithm perceives superb, relevant content and prizes it with higher rankings.
TIP – Focus on creating content for clients, not the web crawlers.
- Top positioning sites have over 900 words of text every page.
- Perfect blog entry length from SEO viewpoint is between 2,000 – 2,450 words.
- In general, sites with more words in the copy reach top ranking positions.
- From a readers point of view the perfect length of a blog is 1,600 words.
TIP – Focus on creating longer content.
Images and Video
- An image MUST be 32 x 32 px in size to be classed as an image.
- Blog entries with images and videos are more captivating for website users.
- Pages with more images rank higher (as per Searchmetrics).
- Average number of images on top ranking pages is around 7 images.
TIP – Include an image or a video for every new section of your post.
Grammar and Spelling
- Grammar and spelling errors create a bad impression with your visitors.
- Bad grammar and spelling mistakes are duly noted by Google, Yahoo and Bing and you may be penalised for this.
- Good content is a reflection of your professionalism.
- Poor grammar or spelling turns off 42.5% of customers.
TIP – Always read your copy no less than 2 times before you upload it. Use a professional editor to proof read and edit your copy.
- Readability is the level of ease with which a one can read and understand written text.
- Flesch reading score can be used to check the level/quality of readability of your text.
- Copy on higher ranking sites is remarkably easier to read.
TIP – Use shorter sentences, paragraphs and verb form (primarily active). Do not use unnecessary words, avoid repetition and minimise use of adjectives and adverbs.
- As indicated by Nielson 79% of clients always scan web pages.
- Well laid out content is easier to comprehend and browse through.
- Google can now figure out the page format and you may get penalised for bad layout.
- Poorly formatted posts are less likely to be read by visitors.
TIP – Use H1/H2 tags, bullet points and number lists to format your copy. Keep sentences and sections short. Use bold and italics to highlight important sentences.
- By using case studies Neil Patel managed to increase sales by 185%
- It is only the expertise that make some top ranking pages and websites authoritative and trustworthy on their specialties.
- The critical factor for any content to be considered high quality is the expertise of the writer.
- Posts from those experts who explain a topic thoroughly and in-depth are most likely to be read (more).
TIP – Aim to write about well explained and well researched topics. Supply correct references and link to examples that concur with your points.
Social Media Sharing
- Quality content has a tendency to be shared more.
- Good sites always have social media sharing buttons clearly displayed on their pages.
- Shares on social media reflect positively on your ranking. More the shares, higher the rank.
- Heavily tweeted content tends to reduce indexation time by half.
TIP – Place your social media share buttons at a noticeable and strategic place on the page.
Internal and External Links
- Pages that rank better for the most part have a better linking structure.
- The anchor text that you use for linking must be relevant to the content.
- Visitors always like good quality and useful external links.
TIP – Aim to build a good internal link structure. Do not create links unnecessarily, specially to unrelated content as you may be penalised by search engines.
Quality of Comments
- Content with a higher number of comments is seen as being of high quality.
- Spam and irrelevant comments create a negative image on your visitors.
- Relevant comments of good quality tend to indulge your visitors more.
TIP – Remove spam and irrelevant comments.